Saturday, June 2, 2012

Regrets & Mistakes


There are some people who say you should never have any regrets about anything in life, but as I stop to think about that statement for me it is not true.  I have many regrets about things in my life.  I regret that I have not been better at building relationships with my sorority sisters, family, and friends.  I regret that there were opportunities that I did not take advantage of in my life because of fear or disbelief in knowing that I can make it happen.  I regret staying in one place for too long; whether it be an apartment in a relationship or in a job.  Regrets do happen and sometimes we can't help that.  But, what we can do is look back at the things we have regretted in our lives and try not to let them happen again.  Regrets offer us a chance to see where we can improve in our lives and provide us with times of reflection.



I have made many mistakes in my life, but I can say that my mistakes is one thing that I don't regret.  While some of the mistakes made in my life may have put me in a difficult situation I don't regret them because it provides me with an opportunity to learn from my mistakes and make a change in my life.  Sometimes when we make a mistake we fail to realize that a golden opportunity has landed in our laps.  An opportunity to now reinvent ourselves, do something different, and do the things that we have always dreamed of doing.  Sometimes we take responsibility for a mistake that was not our fault, but we feel we must take responsibility because there were things that we could have done to prevent it from happening.  In a case like this we can learn how to stand up for ourselves and how not to be afraid to confront the real party at fault in an adult manner.


In my opinion regrets and mistakes are something that most people have in their lives but they are things that not many people choose to learn from or make a change as a result of these things.  When the light bulb finally comes on in your head about a regret you may have or a mistake you may have made then what do you intend on doing about it?  Every person has their own mind and their own way of doing things.  Sometimes the way they choose to do something may be a mistake for them but when someone else does it the same way it may turn out to be a blessing.  One person's regret or mistake is another person's opportunity to learn.  So today I say it is OK to have regrets, but what is not OK is to let those same regrets happen more than once.  It is also OK not to regret mistakes; but just be sure that you learn from them and make a change or they will become mistakes again and then turn into regrets.